Today's Blog is about our Succession Plan. Or as many ask, "What happens if something happens to the Pres/CEO, Board of Directors, or operations manager of this Sanctuary?"
We think this blog is really important especially due to the recent events of 4 large Sanctuaries that found themselves in a desperate situation after the Founder died suddenly. Although these rescue owners were doing wonderful work, they never made sure that they had a plan and funds in place in case something happened to them. That left the staff and volunteers to scramble and place hundreds of birds that were rescued in the first place and now need yet another new home. Most just go anywhere, to anyone. That is a scary concept. The responsible thing for anyone that agrees to take on any pet rescue is to have a solid plan in place for any catastrophe.
Our Succession Plan is as follows:
- A Key Man Life Insurance policy has been in place for years now, if anything happens to the Founder, Patricia Norton, the needed funds to continue to run the Sanctuary will immediately be deposited into the FEBS bank account and one of the existing Board of Directors (5-7 people at any time) will also have access to those funds from the Policy to search for a new qualified person with Patricia's skills, to fill her position, and continue on into perpetuity
- Patricia's son, John, whom has lived his entire 18 years with his mothers passion for Parrots and their well-being, is being prepped to eventually allow Patricia to back away and if blessed enough to do legislative work to change the laws of Exotic bird breeding and ownership. Of course 4 years of college (Business Degree) is coming first!
- As a Board with By-Laws and monthly Board Meetings in place, all of whom are fully vested, either financially, passionately and/ or birds with us, each are able to take over operations until a successor is hired
- A strong financial Succession plan. We are not in debt. The property is owned by the Sanctuary and has a strong financial advisory board
- A Non Profit Accountant to make sure all the T's are crossed and keeps Sanctuary records
- Liability Insurance, Workers Comp Insurance in place and all employees will be able to continue to be paid
- Licensed by the Dept of Ag and Fish & Wildlife yearly since 2002 (Zero Violations)
To all Other Sanctuaries that may read this: Please call us if you need guidance in having the above items in place for your Sanctuary, we are happy to help you! Please make sure you will NEVER contribute to the problem, Thank you and God Bless.
Read Entire Post
Florida Exotic Bird Sanctuary in Hudson, FL – Take the Virtual Tour
We are very happy to announce the New African Grey flight is complete and 26 Greys are now loving their larger, beautiful flight. Many thanks to all of the people that donated to the expense of putting this together and all of the volunteers and staff that worked hard to give these wonderful birds this state of the art aviary fully equipped with water, electric, shelter, safe toys, boings, perches and plenty of food and water stations. We are already working on the next flight cage with a double door system between two cages. Please help in any way you can as we need many more flights. Please be patient as we are working as fast as we can (finances and labor a huge factor) to get ALL of the birds in the new large flights! Please let us know if you can help lend a hand or help finance an aviary!
“Savvy donors want to see the impact of their donations more than ever,” said Perla Ni, CEO of GreatNonprofits, “People with direct experience with Florida Exotic Bird Sanctuary have voted that the organization is making a real difference.”
Being on the Top-Rated list gives donors and volunteers more confidence that this is a credible organization. The reviews by volunteers, clients and other donors show the on-the-ground results of this nonprofit. This award is a form of recognition by the community.
Our Recent Blog Posts
- 4422 August 19, 2016
- Macaws Introduced Into Their Their New Home August 17, 2016
- Important: FEBS Succession Plan August 12, 2016
- FEBS New Bird Mobile Helps Transfer Birds Safely to Sanctuary August 10, 2016
- Look What’s Growing at FEBS… August 5, 2016
We Just updated these pages!
Sign Up On Our Blog Mailing List
"Like" Us on Facebook!